Recipes

Thursday, February 2, 2012

What is The Great Commission?

Have you wondered at times in your life what is my purpose?  I know I sure have many times!  I went through many dark periods in my life where I just wasn't sure. A wife, a mother, business owner, a sister, a homemaker, a friend & a daughter, with all of these titles I wondered what was the reason God made me.  Most of the time these questions arose due to being overwhelmed and exhausted not knowing which way to turn.

One day someone asked me
Do you know what your great commission is? 
Well I felt pretty confident in my biblical knowledge at the time (first mistake), I thought that I was serving in the right areas (second mistake in my thinking), I was teaching children's church on Sundays and I had been to women's bible studies-ya know the regular stuff you do as a CHRISTian! First of all I had obtained "knowledge of the word" but didn't grasp it with my heart.  Second I was serving and going to bible studies because I "knew that is what you do" but didn't grasp it with my heart.  I got a little worried at what I should be answering to this question. I started with I'm not really sure what you mean.  Then the conversation was lead to a profound thing in my life that is easily misunderstood...our identity in Christ!  What are you called to do?  Christ calls us to many things like UNITY, to LOVE, to SHINE but why?  Simply put so that others may know HIM!

Jesus' very last instructions before being taken back to Our Father were instructions for His Disciples (are you a disciple?)

Matt 28:18-20
18And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
19Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Luke 24: 46-47
46And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behooved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: 47And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.  
Acts 1:7-8
7And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power. 8But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

His words and instructions are so very important to remember each day.  We are not all called to be pastors or missionaries but we are ALL called to be active disciples! Each of us have been given different talents all that are to work together so that others may know Jesus Christ and the Love of God!
Putting a focus on this alone changes your entire outlook on your "demanding" relationships.  No longer is it that you are just a business owner, husband, wife, parent, etc. You are called by Jesus to share Him to everyone by actions, words and deeds.  During tough times with family or a hard day at work just remember IT IS NOT about your temporary circumstance. YOU, yes YOU are called by a much higher power!  Once we get that this is our main ingredient for life all things seem to change.  Our higher calling can not been done without the power of the Holy Ghost within us leading us the whole way.  We have to change the way we think about serving understanding we are doing good things for others but it is not for them or for ourselves...It is so others may see Jesus in us!  We are glorifying God in sharing the "Good News" but it is not done just from a pulpit.  A simple random act of kindness pleases the Lord just the same.  So as we go on our daily journey let us know and understand our Commission! 
It ain't about me, It ain't about you, It ain't about them...
It is all about HIM!!! 

Dear Lord, I ask that you bless those that have read this and allow for them to know the importance of your commission in their lives.  Knowing this was your last instructions while on earth for us help us to grasp why it was so.  I pray that you continue to shed light on all of the wonderful things you have for us as your children.  Help us to remember you each day in all things.  Help us to be in your presence relying on the Holy Spirit to lead each step of the way.  I am so thankful for your amazing Love and many days wish to shout it on the roof top.  Please take these words I have written and allow them to show You, oh Lord.  You are my everything and I am thankful to be your disciple.  In Jesus precious name Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment